Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Santa, please get it right!

I grew up in a home where we didn't believe in Santa. Never.

I always thought that my kids would grow up the same way. I'm not sure what happened, but we have Santa. I'm pretty sure he snuck in here without us ever inviting him or mentioning his name. Sam believes. He believes with everything in him. That being said, we haven't really talked that much about what he wants for Christmas and we certainly haven't written a letter to Santa. I did however sign up with our towns Parks and Rec department to have Santa call the house. He has been instructed to tell Sam that he cannot deliver presents to three year old who do not poop on the potty. (I swear to God, I put that on the form.)

Tonight he was looking at a toy catalogue. I noticed that he looked a little bit concerned.

"What's wrong buddy?"

"I'm really afraid mommy."

"What are you afraid of?"

"Mommy, what if Santa gets it all wrong and doesn't bring the right stuff? What if he brings things I don't want?"

Hmmmm...what if he does?

1 comment:

Bethany said...

We did Santa growing up....I do it with my kiddos too. We call it play. Seth is starting to wonder so I might sit down and explain how we play this year and read the book Santa Are You For Real? That my mother read to us once we stepped from that childhood fantasy. I love the perspective of Elizabeth Elliots Fathers thoughts in Hints on Child Training. There is a good section that will put your mind at ease on the importance of play and specifically in regards to the holidays. The whole Santa thing both believing in it and then carrying the magic on with my younger siblings was such a fond and special memory of my childhood. And yes my parents didn't scar me or cause me not to believe in Jesus. We always did Advent growing up too and the manger with do a good deed put a straw in it and have enough for Christmas eve.