Saturday, June 7, 2008

Friends you've never met

When I began blogging a year and a half ago, I had yet to write in a baby book, or complete a scrapbook. I saw blogging as a way to keep track of what was happening in our lives and to share pictures and stories with our friends and family who live far away. That was it.

I didn't know about site meters or blog readers. I'd never heard of a Blog Carnival or a BooMama. Rocks In My Dryer was nothing more than a noisy mistake... I didn't even know that you could have comments sent to your email....which was no big deal, because Bethany was the only person who ever left me one.

I had no idea what I was doing or what it would become to me. If someone had told me that I would make friends through my blog, I wouldn't have believed it or even thought it possible.

My blog is not full of deep thoughts and witty writing. I don't have a real focus or a target audience (beyond my family). As you know, I tend to share pictures of my kids and the happy and funny moments of my life. I know that there are a lot of bloggers out there who constantly strive to get more traffic. I don't think that there is anything wrong with this, but I'm not one of them. Although this blog has become much more than a way to keep in touch with family, and I enjoy getting comments from new people, my reasons for writing it have not changed. I would keep at it even if my parents were the only ones who ever looked at it.

But they are not. I am pleasantly surprised and very happy that people who have never lived with me (Bethany again) and are not related to me read this thing. There are now women in my life who I have never met. Women who make me laugh and cry. Women who inspire and challenge me. Women that I think about often and pray for. Women that I'm pretty sure I would love to hang out with in real life. Women that I consider to be my friends.

The other day, I did something that I have never done before (at least not on my blog). I had a melt down. A temper tantrum of sorts. After I posted it, I thought about deleting it. It felt selfish. It felt whiny. It felt trivial compared to what many of you go through on a daily basis. Then I started getting comments. I was completely unprepared for the heartfelt words of encouragement that I received from both real life friends and friends I've never met.

Thank you friends. I'm so thankful for the unexpected blessing that blogging has become. Your kind words, invitations and offers made me smile and knowing that you were praying for me was just amazing. Thanks for sharing your lives, your humor, your talent and your struggles. I have enjoyed getting to know you all so much. And if you are someone who stops by say from, Howard South Dakota or Wood Dale Illinois, I'd love to get to know you too (I know have a site meter and know how to use it!)

Hope you are all having a great weekend. Big bloggy hugs!


8 comments:

Chaotic Joy said...

Oh Sarah, I am sorry I have been in a bit of a self-absorbed hole lately and I totally missed your rant. But girl, can I write 'em. And I am go thrilled that people were kind and supportive and gave you the "it's okay, we've all been there" that you needed.

Because we all have. And I am so happy that you have found some friends in this blogging community. I continue to be blessed by that as well.

Thank you for stopping by my place. You are one of those gifts to me.

Kelsey S said...

Blogging is like a book it is the story of our lives. Like a book there are happy things and sad things but they are all worth sharing because the book is ours. Write whatever you feel because it is your book and those are your true feelings!

Kelsey
mysweetlife.org

Saralyn said...

There is nothing that makes a person feel more like a real life friend than commiserating. Thanks for sharing your heart when it's joyful and when it's not. You are a true blessing!

The Buntens said...

You are a blessing to me!
I have loved getting to know you by blogging and feel like we would get along great in real life. Thank you for sharing all you do and for this post. It was very wonderful!

Les said...

I consider you a friend Sarah, and enjoy keeping up w/ your blog. I forgot to tell you it was funny when Luke saw the pics of Sam on the potty..."Sam go poo poo on the potty?" inquisitively. Can't wait til they both get it!

Totallyscrappy said...

Lovely post. And just for the record... I think tantrums are sometimes deserved!

Michelle said...

I was just telling my boyfriend this the other day. That I have blog friends. People I'd never met but genuinely consider friends. What a blessing, huh? :-)

Bethany said...

I am so glad you blog. You don't seem so far away now. I feel like we are day to day friends again like in College. It is great. And hey it is GREAT to be real too. I am sure you would do the same in real life with your friends that is what friends are for....in good and bad. When you have a bad day they are the ones you can dump on and they will encourage you. Someday when your little girl reads your blog posts I think she will be encouraged that you we real and had struggles just like she will someday.

I LOVE YA FRIEND.

I am so glad for my bloggy friends too.