Sunday, January 21, 2007

"Your son is so well behaved!"


This is Sam...this is what Sam does when you ask him to smile for the camera...it's pretty indicative of his personality in general..if I ask him to be quiet, he yells "What?"...if you tell him to stop, he changes up whatever he was doing just slightly and says, "How bout like this?"...he's 2 1/2 and although I love him so much that it physically hurts...there are a lot of days that I don't like him very much!
His energy level is exhausting...If I had half of it I'd be able to run 10 miles every morning, come home, get ready (taking time to put makeup on and dry my hair), make a hot breakfast for all, and clean the entire house, top to bottom, by about 10 a.m...I've been thinking about sending him to preschool in the fall, but have had this terrible fear that I have "that kid". You know, the one that nobody wants to have over their house...the one that is in trouble constantly...I keep thinking, "what if he gets kicked out of preschool...does that stay on his permanent academic record? Will it ruin his chances of getting into a good college?:)" So I've basically put off going to preschool open houses and when people ask, I give a casual "I don't know yet" shrug...
This morning I had to leave the church service for a few minutes to calm Grace down...as I walked around the building, I decided to peek in at Sam's class. I stood as far from the door as possible, lest a teacher should see me and ask me to please take my child...never bring him back...what I saw brought tears to my eyes. My little boy was sitting quietly (in a chair!) listening to a man play the guitar and singing along...some of the older boys were goofing off and being reprimanded...not Sam, he actually look angelic! When Brad picked him up after the service, his teacher said..."I don't know what you are doing at home but it's working. Sam is one of the most well behaved kids in the class...we love having him.." I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself...there is hope!

8 comments:

Beth Young said...

Aww, I can so relate. I found your comment and blog through Bethany's post. My son was and is going through the same thing. I have him in a Christian pre-school and he does WONDERFUL. He is 3 1/2 now but when he was 2 1/2 we were so worried that our little firecracker would never listen to authority, but to find out that it was mostly just Mommy's authority he had a problem with. We're still working on that! You're not alone. I'm so glad that you were able to catch a glimpse of him being so sweet :-)

Beth Young said...

oh yea, I'm at wordpress: www.bethyoung.wordpress.com

Bethany said...

Sarah...AHHHH two year olds. I found with my boys it got worse from 3-3 1/2. Seth was pretty good for the most part but Jude...that one keeps me busy. We are going through a major lying stage right now. He is so sneaky and mischivious. Sometimes my friends laugh at me when I tell them I can't go anywhere for a week or two because I have to "work" on Jude. But usually that is what it takes...being on top of him for everything and then he starts listening to me again. Of course now all of that is a joke with being pregnant...lots slides.

I love Sam's picture. That is so funny. Don't ask him to smile ask him if his Mom burps at the breakfast table (I know the answer) or if his Dad likes to play with dolls.

Larry Sherrell said...

Props for blogging. :)

-Larry

James said...

Just think of Adam. What a fine young man he will be some day.

Sarah said...

Bethany, mommy never burps at the table! SO nice to know that I am not alone. Thanks to all for the encouragement.

Zoanna said...

Sarah, I found your blog from Bethany's. It both cracks me up and touches me, because I have a 4 year old boy. The only reason I don't get more upset about the stage he's in now is that I have a an almost 19 and almost 15 year old boy (plus a 17 year old named Sarah) and I KNOW from the school of hard knocks that "this, too, shall pass." Yes, you gotta "work" on 'em like Bethany says so cutely, and you obviously are doing many good things despite what you think! Try thinking of him a little man and what he'll accomplish with all that energy and apparent love of music and how he is even now setting an example for older kids by listening respectfully. Don't be so hard on yourself .Boys have a natural way of wearing us down and we wouldn't trade it for the world, would we?

Zoanna said...

Sarah, I found your blog from Bethany's. It both cracks me up and touches me, because I have a 4 year old boy. The only reason I don't get more upset about the stage he's in now is that I have a an almost 19 and almost 15 year old boy (plus a 17 year old named Sarah) and I KNOW from the school of hard knocks that "this, too, shall pass." Yes, you gotta "work" on 'em like Bethany says so cutely, and you obviously are doing many good things despite what you think! Try thinking of him a little man and what he'll accomplish with all that energy and apparent love of music and how he is even now setting an example for older kids by listening respectfully. Don't be so hard on yourself .Boys have a natural way of wearing us down and we wouldn't trade it for the world, would we?